Mexican telecommunications tycoon, Carlos Slim has taken the world’s wealthiest entrepreneur crown with a net worth of $67.8 billion. After 13 years as the world’s richest person, I think Bill Gates doesn’t care much about the title anyway. He pours much of his assets for charity use. Whether it is a billion or multi-billions, this large amount of wealth is proven too much for a person to spend.
This is not the fist time Bill Gates is beaten. In year 2004, IKEA’s founder Ingvar Kamprad has overtaken Gates
as reported by Swedish TV news. The Swede’s net worth is $53 billion at
that time due to the US dollars slide against Swede crowns. Kamprad is
well known for frugal habits such as flying economy class.
Some facts about Carlos Slim Helu:
- Born January 28, 1940 in Mexico City
- his three sons Carlos Slim Domit, Marco Antonio Slim Domit and Patrick Slim Domit and his son in law Daniel Hajj Aboumrad, head his business empire on a day-to-day basis.
- Slim led a group of investors in buying Telmex from the Mexican government in 1990 in a public tender.
- He is Chairman of the Executive Committee for the Restoration of the Historic Center since the year 2001
- An art collector, Slim houses his Rodin sculptures in Mexico City’s Museo Soumaya, the museum he funded and named after his late wife.
- In 2006, Carlos Slim donated $1.8 billion to charitable cause including giving away 95,000 bicycles to children of poor families to ride to their schools, 70,000 pairs of eyeglasses, and scholarships to 150,000 university students.
- Carlos Slim plans to announce a new plan to donate upwards of 10 billion more dollars over the next four years to help fund Mexican health and education programs.
The recent 27% surge in the stock price of Slim’s wireless company,
America Movil in the second quarter 2007 had earned him the crown. Read
this interview about Carlos Slim’s investment style.
“I still have my laptop but I haven’t used it. I’m a paper man, not electronic.”, quote by Carlos Slim
Billion dollars is too much for you? How about some millionaire story.